Saturday, October 6, 2012

Ray Pepper - Part 3 of 3

Ray Pepper, Joe Todd, Mary Elizabeth (Betty & Maude) Neely Todd Pepper
December 2012
 Another Ray Pepper Story

Ray was Springfield Federation of Teachers President and very active in the Ohio Federation of Teachers in the late 60s and early 70s before he left teaching. He left teaching during the student rights demonstrations. He promised a student that he didn’t have to leave his class unless he wanted to join the demonstration in the yard along side his classroom. A gang of students paraded through Ray’s classroom and carried out the kid; Ray tried to stop them. While he was very large he also was very awkward and fell down while the kid was being taken out. The school administration being timid and anti union did not back him. Earlier he had been put in charge of herding students out of the building after school, walkie talkie and all. Ray did not like this at all and it began to really trouble him. A number of things happened that began to make him think that the administration was purposefully targeting him as president of the teachers union. He quit and worked for a year or two as a social worker in Montgomery County.

I was asked to talk to the Ohio Federation regarding their fears of inclusion kids with disabilities. I was telling Ray they were all worked up. He all of a sudden got as alert as I have seen him in years, and he said “ I don’t wonder, a few years ago you were trying to get them all (handicapped kids) out of the regular class and now you want to put them all back in.” This is not quite so. We wanted to put in special classes those who could not be effectively taught in regular classes and put into regular classes those who could benefit, but his reaction is typical Ohio Federation of Teachers. At another meeting with the Toledo Federation President Dal Lawrence, I mentioned Ray’s name as having invited me to speak to the 1970 Ohio Federation of Teachers convention and having never been invited back. Dal said, “Ray Pepper! he was my model - my hero when I was first starting out in the teachers movement. They are going to give Ray an award.”  I told him he was the “hero of labor” – Later I mentioned this story to Ray and he really got a kick out of that. - - - Ray Pepper was the hero of my life.

More About Ray
I had been very active in the Camera Club when attending High School in Ft. Wayne, IN and I continued this interest during my senior year in Urbana. I set up a darkroom in a storage closet. Ray took a big interest in it and began using it also. Soon after I joined the Navy, they moved into a house right across the street and he set up a larger more elaborate darkroom in the basement. Within a short time he began to take portraits commercially after school and soon had a thriving business on the side for a number of years. Ray and Maude (what I had begun to call my Mother after a mule in a comedy movie during my senior year) became active in the Urbana Community Playhouse. They did the whole thing, acting, stage set up as well as publicity and Ray also took the pictures.  Ray and Maude did well together.

As Ray and Maude “aged,” unpaid bills and unfilled income tax returns began to pile up – money management became a problem. After consulting with the bank, Clyde Smith, vice president of the bank, became their legal guardian as he was local and was able to stop by their house almost everyday as he walked to work.  Ray accepted this with grace and called Clyde his “business manager” and often bragged about it. When Clyde retired and moved to FL I became their legal guardian. David Todd moved to Urbana to looked after them for a couple of years and worked at jobs around town.  My Mother died on 16 July 1983. After Maude died, Ray who had not been driving for sometime gave him his car. Sometime after that David left for California and got married on 4/24/1984 to Carol George.  As a side note I was born on 4/24/34. David went on to build his career in photography with Olan Mills and then started his own photography company specializing in church year books at first and then in medical society directories. Later the company morphed into an international company specializing first responder communication software. 

Ray continued to live alone in the house at 313 Scioto Street in Urbana, OH. I tried to get over as frequently as I could and always brought him over for family holiday get togethers. When visiting him in Urbana, when we were leaving he would always go out into busy Scioto Street and when the traffic was clear he would motion us out of his driveway with big arm motions – we remember it and chuckle about it to this day when I try to guide people out of the driveway of our current townhouse. 

Then one day he had a severe stroke; I was at a Church meeting in the evening when Julia called to tell me; I immediately left for the Urbana hospital; the stroke was severe and permanently paralyzed his right side preventing him from walking or standing ever again; he did regain normal speech after awhile and his mind seemed just fine. We agonized over how to care for him in our home in Worthington since he was so tall, big and heavy – they were using a lifting device at the hospital and later in the nursing home. We finally decided that the nursing home in Urbana was the better place for him as an amazing number of students; associate teachers from past years, and friends were always dropping by to see him – he had been an extremely popular teacher – American history to Ray was not simply facts and dates, but stories about people’s lives and how that affected history and our lives. His students loved him. One of them even worked at the nursing home.  I got over to see him at least once a week and sometimes twice. Anna Kelly, Ray and Maude’s former housekeeper and their long time friend, rode her bike out to see him every once in awhile.  Ray and I traded stories and laughs. His uplifting nature and positive attitude made him a favorite around the nursing home.

When Julia and I had the opportunity to serve a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we gave leaving Ray for a year a lot of thought; I did discuss it with Ray; it was a very difficult decision. Julia’s parents volunteered to visit him frequently and did, often they picked up Anna and took her with them. Julia and I went on a mission to Nassau, The Bahamas. We left in the spring of 1996. Ray died 9/20/1996. I was just in the process of making a tape of some strange sounds such as the wind through the palm trees for him and people practicing their music for Junkanoo day after Christmas celebration that came floating into our apartment through the “bush” next to our backyard – I never got to send it. After his death we did extend our mission for another few months.

Julia’s Mom & Dad, Mary and Bill Holton took care of all the funeral arrangements and Ray’s estate. We had had some discussions and made some arrangements just in case Ray died while we were out of the country. Jennie Todd Griffin came down from Grosse Pointe, MI for the graveside service. Anna Kelly was present along with Mary and Bill.

Ray Pepper was my friend, Father, role model, and my hero - he helped me pass through a tough time of my life by the way he interacted with me. Rarely a day goes by that he is not in my thoughts and today is Sep 21, 2012. I look forward to the day when we are reunited.  I do not know what I would have done or how I would have turned out without his steady positive, guidance, support and influence. - -  Joe Todd      September 2012








No comments:

Post a Comment