Friday, May 16, 2014

Ho Hum - Another Awesome Rhodie

This is our fourth Spring in Kirkland. The first Spring was a blur with moving, unpacking, and getting settled.  The second and third Springs I was totally awed by the beauty of the rhododendron that bloom here in abundance from early March clear into July. The colors are so varied, vibrant - amazing and awesome. I would often pause on my walk, or stop the car, just to admire the beauty. I took many pictures trying to capture what I was seeing and feeling. I noticed them because they were so different from Spring plants in Ohio. This was a new part of my life -  something that was being added to the beauty and abundance of my life. 

The beginning of May this year I realized I hadn't taken a picture of even one rhodie (as they call them out here). I hadn't stopped the car or paused on a walk to admire the beauty. 

I was taking the glorious beauty for granted. It had become so much a part of my life that I wasn't appreciating it as I had in the past. It had become common, routine, and ordinary. So I stopped to take this picture. The colors are even more vibrant than shown in the picture. 

This experience made me ponder what else I'm taking for granted.  What or who has become so "ordinary" that I've stopped acknowledging the beauty and awesomeness? Am I expressing gratitude for what's become routine?

family and friends
beauties of nature 
experiences with the Spirit
wonderful community and part of the country
reminders that I have a loving Heavenly Father & Brother and Savior Jesus Christ

I'm going to pay more attention, pause more often, take in the beautiful abundance of so many parts of my life - and give thanks. 


No comments:

Post a Comment