Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Creaking & Screeching

What memories stick in our minds and why?

Every time I use a tape gun I'm taken back to the first time I really noticed a tape gun in use. Decades ago I was waiting in a long line at the UPS store on Sinclair Road in Columbus. Everyone had multiple Christmas boxes to ship. This was before the days of printed adhesive shipping labels. Every label had to be taped to the box. Behind the counter was a gum chomping woman wielding a tape gun with great gusto, determination, and intensity. For some reason, the distinctive creaky/screechy sound of the tape gun imprinted on my mind. I HAD to have one. I bought one and have been using it for decades. 

Every time I tape up a box and hear that sound, I think of that intense, tape gun wielding woman in the UPS store. 



No comments:

Post a Comment