Sunday, December 1, 2013

Silent Night

December 1956 - with my siblings
I love the songs of Christmas. The first Sunday in December we started singing Christmas hymns in our church meetings. When we sang “Silent Night,” a flood of feelings and memories came into my heart and mind. Sweet, precious, intense feelings and memories.

We grew up in the Methodist Church in London, Ohio. Mom attended with us for a while but then stopped going. Dad, the four of us, Grandpa, and Grandma were there every Sunday. Church was what we did with Dad on Sunday morning. In many ways it became a very routine part of our lives.

Christmas Eve was special – and “Silent Night” was a big part of what made it an awesome night. There was a late night service at the church. I don’t remember if it was 10 or 11 or when. I just know it was LONG after our regular bedtime. Some years the children’s choir sang at the service. I remember having trouble keeping my eyes open as I sat in the choir at the front of the sanctuary. Years later I think an earlier service was added for families with little children.

At the end of the service we always sang “Silent Night.” White candles were passed out to each person. The lights were dimmed and the sanctuary was lit by the candles on the altar. The minister lit his candle from an altar candle and passed the light to others who then took the light to the congregation. The light was passed from person to person until everyone had a lit candle and the sanctuary glowed with the light. Then we sang “Silent Night.” Candles were raised and lowered following the lead of the minister. It was an amazing experience. Writing this 50+ years later brings tears to my eyes. I didn’t know then what I was feeling. It was the Spirit in great abundance. It was the unity of a group of people who believed in Christ and were joyous about His birth.

The hymn ended. Candles were extinguished. The lights came back on. I’m sure a prayer was given. I remember a reverent quiet as we all went our ways. Often we walked home. Sometimes snow would be falling and that added to the magic and reverence of the evening.

Silent Night, Holy Night


MORE SILENT NIGHT MEMORIES

A few years before Dad’s death, I don’t recall exactly when, Joe and I, I think along with Tom and Gayle, went to London on Christmas Eve to go to the service with Dad. I was sitting next to Dad and remember how special it was to have him give me light from his candle. I thought about the symbolism  – all that Dad has passed along to me and I in turn try to give to others – especially the knowledge and testimony that Jesus is the Christ and is real.

Dad died December 19, 2003 – Joe and I, along with I think Tom, Gayle, Jan, and Tim, went to the Christmas Eve service in London that next week. (I think it was the week after or maybe it was a year after his death.) For Dad’s birthday that year or the year before  (before his death) we’d purchased in his honor what was termed the Christ candle and a stand for the altar area at the Methodist Church. 

When the lights were dimmed that Christmas Eve, the lit Christ candle was the only illumination in the sanctuary. Light was taken from that candle and then passed to everyone in the congregation until all the candles were lit. Then we sang “Silent Night.” Watching that light come from the candle and then be passed from person to person - this reminded me of Dad and the light he passed on to us.


EVEN MORE SILENT NIGHT MEMORIES
This one’s a little “lighter” in tone

I’ve always enjoyed singing and was part of high school choral groups. After I returned from Germany, it must have been my junior year, I sang “Silent Night” in German at some sort of evening school program. Lately I’ve been wondering if I sang all four verses and if the audience wondered if I was ever going to stop. I hope it was just one verse and that I did it justice.


Silent night, Holy night
...........
Glories streams from heaven above
Heavenly hosts sing Allelujah
Christ the savior is born,
Christ the savior is born!








No comments:

Post a Comment