Sunday, December 8, 2013

Rejoice & Fear Not


When we children expressed doubt about something, Dad often said, "Oh ye of little faith." I thought of Dad when I saw this image. It was decades before I realized Dad's phrase comes from the Bible. 

In both instances below Jesus addresses his disciples' concerns about temporal matters - food to eat, clothes to wear, and so forth. 

“… he said unto them, O ye of little faith, why reason ye among yourselves, because ye have brought no bread?"  (Matthew 16:8)

"Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?"  (Matthew 6: 30)

Jesus tells them to focus on the bigger picture or more vital matter. 

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." (Matthew 16: 33)

With Thanksgiving not far behind us, we've had the opportunity to focus a bit more than usual on our blessings. We know we have many reasons to rejoice.

The Lord counsels us, "Wherefore, be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you; and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I am the Son of the living God, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come."  Doctrine and Covenants 68: 6



No comments:

Post a Comment