Saturday, November 3, 2012

Halfway Down


Halfway Down 

Halfway down the stairs
is a stair
where i sit.
there isn't any
other stair
quite like
it.
i'm not at the bottom,
i'm not at the top;
so this is the stair
where
I always
stop.

Halfway up the stairs
Isn't up
And it isn't down.
It isn't in the nursery,
It isn't in town.
And all sorts of funny thoughts
Run round my head.
It isn't really
Anywhere!
It's somewhere else
Instead!
***********
I think of this poem almost every time I walk up and down stairs - and have ever since I was a young child. I don't know why this poem made such an impression on me. My childhood home had stairs to the basement but I never remember sitting on them. Our grandparents' homes had stairs; I don't remember pausing on them. Going up the stairs in our North Street home brought this poem to my mind many, many times over the 34 years we lived there. 

The stairs in our Kirkland home have a turn half way up. This midpoint is often bathed in sunlight which makes it an absolutely wonderful place to sit - a place that's "not really anywhere; it's somewhere else instead!" 




No comments:

Post a Comment