Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Ducks & $10 Bills


If our hearts and minds are open, the Spirit can use every day situations to teach us important lessons. In the August 2013 Ensign, magazine of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, there were two articles that caught my eye - and heart and mind.

"Grace for Mother Duck and Me" by Rosie Kaufman - One spring afternoon I was packing my car to begin shuttling my five young children to and from lessons and practices. As I loaded soccer cleats and dance bags, I noticed a mother duck and her ducklings waddling down the sidewalk of our suburban neighborhood. As I watched, she began to cross the road. Unfortunately, she chose a gutter grate for her crosswalk, and as she passed over it, her babies followed. Four of her ducklings slipped helplessly between the bars of the grate. ...

"... Sometimes we come up short, even when we have the best intentions and try our hardest. However, the Savior’s “grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before [Him]” (Ether 12:27). It comforts me to know that my shortcomings will not ruin my children and that they will be the recipients of love, peace, understanding, and grace from our Savior. He “reaches my reaching*" and wants my family and me to succeed. Our shortcomings will not prevail when we humble ourselves and stand with the Lord by our side."

Click here to read the middle of the story - about the rescue and the author's thoughts

"Only 10 Dollars" by Emma C. Miller - The author, a single mother, was going to college and struggled financially. "On my way home from school, I made a quick trip to the store, grabbing a few items and making my way to the express lane. The cashier finished ringing up a man’s order, and when the man handed her the money, she protested, stating it wasn’t enough. English was not the man’s native language, however, so he had difficulty understanding....

"...The man at the grocery store probably gave all he had and needed someone to come to his aid. He needed mercy. Justice meant the items would have to be paid for, but mercy meant that someone else could step in and pay the debt.

"I cried because this experience solidified for me how much my Heavenly Father truly loves me and that because He loves me, He sent His Son to pay for my sins. And not only did He do that, but He continues to bless me through everyday “angels” who step in from time to time to give me what I need. And sometimes He lets me know He loves me by letting me serve someone else."

Click here to read the whole story. 


photo - In 1981 This mother duck and her babies took up residence in our North Street yard for a little while. They liked to gather around the car tires. We had to look carefully before starting the car.



No comments:

Post a Comment