Saturday, December 15, 2012

Heather's Poems


Heather was one of "my" young women in the youth group at church. I was their teacher and advisor. In truth, they taught me much more than I taught them. When Heather was 15 she learned she had a rare and deadly form of cancer. She fought it valiantly for six years and then could fight it no more. 

Heather taught me to crochet. I wasn't a quick student. When we moved to Kirkland, I brought the unfinished piece she was helping me with. I never finished it but yet I keep it - a reminder of teacher and student and how those roles can switch back and forth.

Heather was very aware that her time here on earth would be short. She talked about it, mostly in a matter of fact way as I remember our conversations. Heather wanted to be remembered and she wanted her family to have something from her after she died. She crocheted beautiful afghans for many family members. After Heather's death, Heather's mother gave me a booklet of Heather's poems written during her six year fight with cancer. The other day I went through it and was touched by Heather's wisdom and insights. I've added some comments that came to me as I reread these poems.

********************

Humidity

I feel like a flower,
wilting-
in the heat.
My color is fading;
a tiny brown leaf-
Oh, to be tundra moss
with permafrost underneath my feet.
I'd gladly set down roots for awhile.
Cold would be a welcoming treat.

jht - Did Heather capture the feeling of a hot, humid Ohio summer day?


Night Beauty

Moonlight
streaming on my hair
falling from the skies
like rain,
silver fair.

The drops are 
clinging to me
bringing me hope
and laughter, 
flying free.

Heart of mine
be still.
eyes look up and weep,
mouth open and teeth parted wide,
of moonshine I drink my fill. 

jht - I can picture Heather in her backyard with her face lifted towards the moonlight.


My Friend

Your friendship means so much to me.
You hold my hands through the smiles and tears.
You've helped me make my hard decisions,
and kept me calm through my worst fears.
I don't know how to thank you.
I'm not sure I could find a way.
Just know that I always will love you,
until, and after, my dying day.


jht - Heather was a wonderful friend. Friends can remain friends, "until, and after, my dying day."





No comments:

Post a Comment