Saturday, April 14, 2012

Mickey Mouse Club


MICKEY MOUSE CLUB

M - I – C -- K – E - Y    M-O-U-S-E
[Imagine singing] 

The Mickey Mouse Club TV show must have ended about 6pm right when Dad got home from work. We weren’t allowed to watch much TV but this show was on at a time that would keep us out from under Mom's feet as she got dinner ready. I remember Dad coming into the den, standing with his hand over his heart, and singing the closing song with us. This clip of the closing song brought back great memories. I didn’t remember how s-l-o-w it was. 


The initial series started in October 1955 and ran through 1959 on ABC. Here’s a clip of the introduction. It says it’s from the 1960s but it’s got to be very close to what we saw when we were watching it. All the words to the songs came back instantly!


We never had mouse ear hats or any of the other paraphernalia. Many of the songs did become part of my life. Jiminy Cricket taught me to spell “encyclopedia" and “Mississippi.” Every time I spell these words, I sing them in my head. 


Annette was my favorite Mouseketeer. Mom knit a sweater for me that was just like one Annette wore in an episode of “Spin and Marty.” That was one of the most special gifts she ever gave me.





No comments:

Post a Comment