Monday, April 9, 2012

Canopies & Memories

Interesting what triggers memories - A friend can enhance those memories.

The other day I was talking with a life long friend (since elementary school). She mentioned that she's finally getting the four poster bed she's always wanted. A memory flashed through my brain and I asked, "Are you getting a canopy?"

Then I asked if she was part of an experience that went through my head as soon as she said "four poster bed." My mother's parents bought a duplex on North Main Street for their planned move from Arlington Heights, Illinois to London. My grandmother died before they could make the move. My grandfather came and lived in the south side of the duplex. He rented the other side.

I remember looking through the window and being enchanted by the four poster bed - with a CANOPY - in the girl's room. My friend said she was there with me. She remembered the girl's name, SB. SB's family rented the same house the my friend's family rented on Main Street. She couldn't remember if the B family rented on Main Street before or after renting my grandfather's place. 

My friend added to the story. One day  SB and/or her mother invited us over for a visit. My friend said we stayed there "forever." My grandfather even came over and asked if it wasn't time to end the visit. We wanted to stay and the B's graciously said it was OK. My friend said she often thinks about that experience and wonders if the B's thought we were never going to leave! 

My friend thinks SB was a few years older than we were. This must have been when we were in junior high school. My grandmother died in 1957. I don't know how long my grandfather lived in London but I don't think it was too many years before he moved to Columbus. 

And about that canopy bed -  my friend is not going to get a canopy for her new four poster bed. She said she just couldn't do that to her husband.






No comments:

Post a Comment