Saturday, December 24, 2011

The Custodian - A Poem

The Custodian

By Edward Hirsch 

Sometimes I think I have lived 

My whole life like that old janitor 

Who locked up after the rabbi 

And patrolled the synagogue at night. 


....

He opened the Holy Ark by hand 

And dusted off the sacred scrolls, 

O Lord, which he never opened, 

And cut the light behind the organ. 


He ignored the Eternal Lamp 

(Woe to the worker who unplugged it!), 

As he vacuumed the House of Prayer 

Muddied by the congregation. 



.....

Every now and then he’d sigh 

And stare up at the domed ceiling 

As if he had heard something auspicious, 

But it was only the wind in the trees.



He picked a prayer book off the floor 

And carried it down to the basement, 

Where he chewed on a sandwich 

And listened to a ballgame on the radio.




***************
This poem made me wonder how often I've missed the holiness around me. How often do I go through the motions without being in tune with God? How often am I doing the equivalent of listening to a ballgame on the radio while surrounded by God and all that is in my life to remind me of Him and to put me in touch with Him?

January 6, 2015 some lines removed due to copyright & reproducing the entire poem





No comments:

Post a Comment