Friday, August 19, 2016

Functional Not Artistic

I admire people who know how to make the ordinary look special. That's not one of my talents. By nature I tend towards the practical, not artistic and not very creative. 

I remember some of Mom's comments when she took time to garnish a Thanksgiving turkey. This usually consisted of sprigs of parsley. Mom would say that's as close to Martha Stewart as she got.  Mom would sometimes put a centerpiece in the middle of the holiday table, make sure everyone had a chance to admire it, and then take it away to make more space for food!

Very talented women have tried to tutor me on how to dress up a table or food. One time I was having a problem catching the vision from a "sweet young thing" (as Dad would say). She whipped out her phone, pulled something up on Pinterest, and said, "Make it look like this!"  Creative flair I don't have but I do know how to follow instructions. 

All this came to my mind the other day when I was cutting up fruit to take to a brunch. I was just going to toss it into the bowl when several of my mentors came into my mind with suggestions for making it look a bit nicer. So I put the pineapple in the middle and arranged the strawberries around the side. I plopped the strawberry in the middle in memory of Mom. 

I know this isn't height of creativity, but it did bring some fun memories to my heart and mind as I was getting ready to spend time with friends (one of whom is uber-creative!).


No comments:

Post a Comment