Friday, June 24, 2016

Childhood Memory

Do any of you remember eating honey AND the comb? A year or so ago I had a hankering (a Dad word) for a taste of this childhood memory. I started looking for it in stores and at farmers markets. Couldn't find it. Farmers market vendors told me it was no longer sold. Then I found it on the Internet and boy was it pricey!

The other day we went to the local farmers market. I asked one vendor who was selling honey about this product. She said it wasn't sold that way nowadays. We wandered some more. I received a phone call that I needed to take. As I talked with the person I realized I was in front of another honey vendor and I spotted containers of honey in the comb! I bought one.

Over the next few days we enjoyed eating the honeycomb. When we spread it on toast it softened up, became a nice consistency and was very tasty. When we ate it cold, the honeycomb tasted and felt like those waxy candies from our childhood.

If memory serves me correctly, we bought our honeycomb at the Deer Creek Honey Farms on Route 142 between London and West Jefferson. There are several references to it on the Internet but nothing in detail. I wonder if it's still in operation.

No comments:

Post a Comment