Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Timing

My parents used a timer just like this one - same color, same style - during my childhood. 

Either Mom or Dad decided 7 minutes was long enough for a shower. We were supposed to set the timer so we didn't use too much water and/or monopolize the bathroom. 

My memory is that the timer was also used for phone calls - especially those in which we took the phone (attached by a cord in those days) and sat at the top of the basement stairs in an effort to get a little bit of privacy. It wasn't until later that we had phones in the darkroom and the den. This was long before the cordless phone. I can't remember how long we could talk on the phone. I'm sure it wasn't as long as we wanted and definitely wasn't as long as our friends could talk on the phone :)

On North Street I bought this timer and I periodically introduced it if someone(s) tended to lose track of time in the shower.



December 2, 2015 corrected typo

No comments:

Post a Comment