Saturday, September 8, 2012

Our Uncle David

David Caryl Holton
September 8, 1930 - April 2, 2011
Christmas of 1956 my Dad's brother David gave us a dog sled. Fortunately there was snow that winter. This picture was taken in January. I think we're on the hill behind a friend's house in London, Ohio. Uncle David is standing on the end of the sled.

Uncle David wrote me this letter when I was healing from my burn in Spring 1953. 

Dear Julie,

   We had church on the back of our ship today. To get the minister to our ship we had to tie a rope between our ship and the another ship that he was on. 
   This is a poor picture, but maybe you can see the minister in the little cage on the rope between the two ships. The men on the back of my ship are pulling a rope which pulls the little cage along the "high line."
   Ask Reverend Shenefelt [minister at First United Methodist Church in London] if he ever came to church hanging like a bird in a cage. I bet he hasn't!

Love,

U. David

David & Dorothy Holton January 2004




No comments:

Post a Comment