Sunday, June 3, 2012

Wonders ... Within Reach Of My Eyes

"I kept watch until daybreak, 
that none of the sky wonders of the glorious night 
within reach of my eyes 
might be lost."*

John Muir was dazzled by the beauties of the aurora, lights in the northern skies of Alaska. He also recorded that the aurora was "enriching the heavens!" 

Sometimes it's difficult to find words to describe the beauty we see around us. This Spring I've felt tongue-tied as I've marveled at the rhododendron, or rhodies as they are called here. Joe's probably tired of hearing me exclaim, "Look at that color! Look how tall that one is! I've NEVER seen that color before!" You get the idea. 
Last Spring was our first Spring here. I was taking in all the plants that were new to me. I noticed rhododendron but they were mixed in with all the other flowering shrubs I was observing. I do remember marveling that some rhododendron were still blooming in July.  This Spring I'm noticing the colors - there is such a variety. Some of the colors are so intense that our camera cannot adequately reproduce the hues. I am noticing the size of many of the rhododendron bushes - some as tall as small trees. I am noticing that rhodies are "everywhere." 
Notice car on right; this rhododendron is huge
The beauty of nature can indeed enrich our lives as we enjoy all that is within reach of our eyes. 




*John Muir, quoted in American History, "Through an Iceberg Darkly - Beauty and Danger in Alaska," August 2012, p 73. Also found here.





No comments:

Post a Comment